UNATTENDED CHILDREN’S POLICY
The following policy has been implemented by the Paoli Public Library Board of Trustees in order to protect the children of Orange County when they are visiting the library.
The guidelines of this policy are:
- The library is not responsible for any child before, during, and after library hours.
- Children are considered unattended if their parent/guardian has left them alone in the building or on the grounds of the library.
- Children under the age of 13 must be directly supervised by a parent/guardian 18 years of age or older.
- The parent/guardian must remain in the library with the child.
- The parent/guardian must monitor the child closely even when the parent/guardian is working at a computer, doing their own research, or reading.
- Staff members are not responsible for monitoring children.
- The child and the parent/guardian who is not properly monitoring the child will be asked to leave.
- If a child is discovered unattended, and a parent/guardian cannot be located within fifteen minutes of this discovery, the library staff will request that the local police contact Child Protective Services.
- When the library is closing, and the parent/guardian of any unattended minor child is not in the building, the library staff will request that the local police contact Child Protective Services.
Adopted: January 29, 2007
Revised: July 29, 2014