We invite you to find your family history in our Genealogy Department!
Orange County was formed from parts of Knox County, Gibson County and Washington County by the Indiana Territorial Legislature, on December 26, 1815 (effective February 1, 1816). In 1816 the Orange County seat was designated at Paoli, which was named after Pasquale Paoli Ash, the 12-year-old son of the sitting North Carolina Governor.
Info source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_County,_Indiana#:~:text=Orange%20County%20was%20formed%20from,effective%20February%201%2C%201816).
The Paoli Public Library’s original Carnegie building was built in 1918, and in 2010, we moved to our new building at 100 West Water Street. For more information on our library’s building history, please see this article: “Carnegie Arrives in Orange County” by Kenneth Perry McCune.
Our collection contains:
- PPL Genealogical Resources
- Database of Family Information
- Local newspapers
- High School Yearbooks
- Some records from neighboring counties
- Family Histories (books and files)
- Marriage Index
- Death Index
- Census records
- Cemetery records
- Cemeteries Index
Our Library’s Genealogy Area Rules
All books and materials in the genealogy department are REFERENCE ONLY and may not be checked out of the library.
- Please leave all books on table, library staff will re-shelve.
- No food or drinks allowed.
- Please keep your cell phone on “Mute” while in the library (calls may be made out in the hallway.)
- Please check with staff before making any photocopies due to copyright laws. Copies: 15 cents for Black and White, 25 cents for Color
- To request information, you may call us at 1-812-723-3841 or email us.
The Orange County Courthouse (on the square) has marriage and probate records from 1816. Their phone number is 1-812-723-3600.
The Orange County Health Office has birth and death records from 1888.
The Orange County Recorder’s Office has land / deed records from 1816.
For more genealogical information, please see our Subject Guide.
A Few Genealogical Links
- Roots Web
- Cyndi’s List
- Indiana Genealogical Society
- Indiana Genealogical Society’s Blog
- Indiana Memory: Orange County
- National Register of Historic Places: Orange County
- Orange County Genealogy Trails
- Orange County INGenWeb
- Orange County Interviews 1987-1989 by IU Center for the Study of History and Memory
- Indiana State Library’s Cemetery Locator Index – By the way, did you know there are 250 cemeteries and / or records located in Orange County according to their index?
- Indiana State Archives Online Catalog
- Indiana County Research Guides
- Indiana University Bloomington’s Guide to Researching Genealogy in their Libraries
- Historic Louisville and New Albany — This website has pictures of the old stagecoach that would travel between Paoli and New Albany, and it’s a great website to see more pictures and historical facts about southern Indiana and Louisville, Kentucky.
- Southern Indiana Connections
Where to Stay While You’re Here
Planning to visit Paoli, Indiana? Here are the recommended places to stay for our area…
- West Baden Springs Hotel – 10.0 miles
- Comfort Suites – 12.6 miles
- Best Western Plus French Lick – 11.5 miles
- French Lick Springs Hotels – 10.9 miles
- Big Splash Adventure – 10.7 miles
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Bedford – 21.6 miles
- Super 8 Bedford – 23.9 miles
- Patoka 4 Seasons Resort – 18.8 miles