It is the policy of the Paoli Public Library to maintain a safe and pleasant atmosphere in the library. To that end, the Board of Trustees states the following behaviors are considered unacceptable in the library or on library property:
- Possession of alcohol, illegal drugs, or weapons of any kind
- Unauthorized removal or attempted removal of materials
- Eating, drinking, smoking (including electronic cigarettes), use of other tobacco products, or public intoxication
- Being in an unauthorized area
- Steal or damaging equipment
- Vandalizing equipment or facilities
- Disruptive noise, including profane language
- Any behavior disruptive to legitimate use of the library, including running, roughhousing, fighting, or throwing objects
- Any behavior that presents an eminent danger to the life or safety of others, including intentional non-emergency activation of fire alarms, etc.
- Verbal or physical abuse of staff or patrons
- Violation of copyright laws
- Solicitation, gambling, or panhandling, including distributing printed materials or conducting surveys
- Overcrowding of tables or computer areas
- Disruptive use of pagers or cell phones
- Inappropriate dress such as no shoes, shirts or bare torso, and swim suits
- Failure to supervise children
- Skateboarding, roller skates, or inline skate use
- Excessive displays of affection, or sexually inappropriate conduct
In the event that a patron violates any of these rules, a staff member will tell the individual that his / her behavior violates the Patron Code of Conduct and that it must stop. If the individual continues the behavior, a staff member will inform the patron that he / she will be asked to leave the library if the behavior does not stop immediately. Finally, if the patron continues the behavior, he / she will be asked to leave the library. If the patron refuses, the police will be called to remove the patron from the premises.
Under no circumstances will a library employee touch the patron in any way. The staff member who deals with the patron and any staff members who witness the interaction will complete an incident report.
A patron may be banned from the library for a specific amount of time. This decision will be made by the librarian. If this happens, a letter will be sent to the patrons and a copy of the letter will be kept on file at the library.
In the event it is established a sexual offender is visiting the library, staff will contact the sheriff’s department to see if the court order states that the individual is to stay away from children. That person will then be asked to leave the building.
Any teen caught smoking on library property is banned for 3 months.
Paoli Library and its employees assume no responsibility for minor children. Parents / guardians retain full responsibility for minor children under all circumstances. Proper authorities will be notified as deemed necessary by library staff.
Adopted: April 30, 2007
Revised: November 26, 2012