Due to COVID-19, the library will be shut down temporarily. We will notify you when we open again. Please wash your hands and stay safe!
THE U.S. CENSUS BUREAU IS HIRING
Recruiting Assistants, Census Field Supervisors, Census Enumerators/Takers
STARTING PAY FOR FIELD POSITIONS IN ORANGE COUNTY: $15 / HOUR
-Competitive wages- Weekly paychecks- Flexible hours- Paid training
Monday, October 21 from 2:30 – 4:30 pm
Paoli Public Library
100 West Water Street
Paoli, Indiana 47454
Apply in person or online: www.2020census.gov/jobs
Director / Interim Director Position
The Paoli Public Library Board of Trustees is searching for a knowledgeable, qualified Director/Interim Director to maintain the library’s exceptional level of service. Applicants for the Director/Interim Director position must have excellent written and oral communication skills, be able to interact well with the staff and public, maintain library programs and services and be an energetic, responsive and confident leader while maintaining the library’s high standards. An Interim Director willing to meet the State of Indiana Library educational requirements within 3 years of hire may be considered for the Director position.
The Paoli Public Library utilizes an nine year old, 9000 square foot facility in southern Indiana with a combined BIRF and Operating budget of $318,000. Staff will most likely include the full-time Director/Interim Director, a part-time Children’s Librarian, two part-time staff and two part time substitutes.
Qualifications: The successful candidate will possess a Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited university and must complete 15 hours of college level Library Science credit taken before, during or after Bachelor’s Degree. Per the Indiana State Library certification requirements, courses must cover each of the following 5 topics: Collection Development, Reference and Information Sources, Library Management and Administration, Cataloging and Organization of Materials, and Children’s Services. Previous library supervision and management experience will be considered a positive attribute.
Compensation: Salary for the Director/Interim Director position is negotiable, depending on the qualifications and experience. Benefits will include vacation, personal, and sick days and may include a health plan.
To apply, please send the following as attachments to the hiring committee care of firstname.lastname@example.org by November 1, 2019.
*Three professional references
We have added more businesses to the list! Check it out below!
The Paoli Public Library has so many obvious benefits to owning a library card, such as free computers, books, movies, and events. However, we would like to share our newest venture in providing the best benefits we can to our patrons.
Check this out! Discounts and specials may vary and each business is in charge of deciding their discounts and specials, and these deals do have an expiration date. Thank you to these great local businesses in Paoli, Indiana!
We have special offerings at the following local businesses if you show them your GREEN Evergreen library card. You must show your library card to get these discounts!
- Tractor Supply – 10% off purchase
- Roslyn’s Corner Gifts – 10% off purchase
- WillowTree Boutique and Home Decor – 10% off purchase
- Advance Auto – 10% off purchase
- Subway – Paoli AND French Lick locations – 10% off purchase
- JJ’s Hair Salon – 15% off purchase
- Connie’s Country Kitchen – 20% off Wednesday meals [8-20-2019 through 12-30-2019]
- Lost River Market & Deli – $2.00 off our $5.99 Soup & Sandwich special [9-1-2019 through 9-30-2019
- Nanna’s Bakery – 1 free cookie (choices: chocolate chip, snickerdoodle, peanut butter, no-bake, oatmeal, or M&M) OR 1 free doughnut (non-filled cake or yeast) [9-1-2019 through 9-30-2019]
- TomTech Inc. – 10% off Labor cost [9-1-2019 through 9-30-2019]
- Apple Blossom Treasures – Buy 2 DVDs, get 1 free. Also be registered for monthly giveaway of $10 gift certificate [9-1-2019 through 9-30-2019]
- Yamato Japanese Steakhouse of Paoli – Free Drink with purchase of a meal [9-1-2019 through 9-30-2019]
- Dave’s Pizza Express – Free Breadsticks with purchase of any large pizza [9-1-2019 through 9-30-2019]
- Elite Therapeutic Massage and Tanning – Buy One Get One Free Single UV Tanning Session. Limit one per customer. See Salon for details. $5 off of one hour massage session. Subject to availability through Sept. 30. [9-1-2019 through 9-30-2019]
- Hoosier Hardware – 10% off Carhartt clothing [9-1-2019 through 9-30-2019]
- Windhorst for the Home – 10% off of any regular priced mattress or furniture purchase of $299 and up [9-1-2019 through 9-30-2019]
- Persimmon Tree Gifts – 10% off regular priced merchandise [9-1-2019 through 9-30-2019]
- Reflections Flowers and Gifts LLC – 10% off of all fresh flower orders (delivery not included) [9-1-2019 through 9-30-2019]
- Pink Moon LLC – Free 25MG CBD Bathbomb with every $50+ purchase (regularly $11.95 each or 2 for $20) [9-1-2019 through 9-30-2019]
The Friends of the Paoli Library Present Antique Appraisal Day With William Lawrence, The Acquiring Mind
Saturday, September 7, 2019
9 A.M. to Noon
Paoli Public Library
100 W. Water Street, Paoli
$15 for up to 3 items appraised
Hosted by The Friends of the Paoli Library
To benefit Paoli Public Library and The Essentials Project at Paoli High School
Must be able to carry items into the building that are to be appraised. No appraisals offered based on photographs. Verbal appraisals carry no legal weight for purposes such as insurance coverage, estate planning, or tax deductions. Appraisals are done at the owner’s risk. Neither the appraiser, the library, nor those associated in any way with the program shall be held responsible for any damages that occur. Mr. Lawrence has collected, restored, appraised, written and taught about antiques and collectibles for about 50 years. His areas of specialty are: weapons, clocks, watches, quilts, pottery, furniture. Due to extensive condition criteria, he will look at coins, jewelry, or stamps and ONLY tell the owner if it is worth taking the item to an expert for appraisal. No appraisal will be provided by Mr. Lawrence on these items. Mr. Lawrence will provide information on the rules of appraisal as well as a written “cheat sheet” with advice on how to sell items.
Thank you to everyone who has participated in the Summer Reading Program! We had a great time at our summer-end party with Silly Safaris! Here are a few pictures from the program:
Don’t forget: July 22-26 is our Scholastic Book Fair week! If you have Book Bucks, you may use them for books. We will also accept cash or check for school supplies and other items. Book Bucks were generously provided through a Round Up grant from Orange County REMC. Thank you Orange County REMC!
Let us never forget the Veterans of Orange County.
To honor our veterans, Paoli Public Library would like to create a digital and written record of Orange County veterans that will serve generations to come. The project will be online and will also be housed in the genealogical records of the Paoli Public Library.
In order to participate in this project, we need the following information about the veterans that you would like to include:
- Service – connected pictures of veterans in uniform, performing their service-connected job, with their buddies, in their surrounding locations while serving, with family, etc.
- A written account about their military experiences. There is a questionnaire provided to complete.
The information will also be scanned as a part of the veteran’s digital record. Some veterans may also wish to provide a written biographical account of their time in the service. Friends and / or family members are encouraged to participate in the project by providing information and photos for any veteran that is deceased. The project will provide county residents a time for reflection, camaraderie, and support for veterans.
Participants may wait while the information is scanned into the library system or leave the information with the library staff to be picked up later.
The library will begin accepting information during the week of July 4th. The last day to turn in photos and written accounts is Friday, November 1, 2019.
Upon completion of the scanning process, a digital record of each veteran will be established in a special link on the library web site. This information will serve as a genealogical record and an Orange County historical record. The link should be ready to access by Veteran’s Day in November 2019.
In addition, on the 2019 Veteran’s Day, the library staff will light a Remembrance candle in honor of all veterans. Books that focus on the service of veterans will also be on display and available for checkout. Visitors may also view the digital information about the veterans.
Please download the Veteran’s Questionnaire below. Please fill out the questionnaire as completely as you can, and please return the information to the library in person, by email (email@example.com), or by fax 1-812-723-5591.
The parking lot is still available (Thank you, DeWitt Insurance!) and the rain chances are low Saturday morning so the Farmers Market/Plant Swap is still on!
The library is offering a place for those with extra produce, flowers & plants to connect with those that want to purchase local products. The library is not responsible for the quality, availability or condition of what is offered nor is it profiting in any way. The hope is to bring those that have and don’t need and those that need and don’t have together.
Set up in the area to the west of the library and behind DeWitt Insurance at the corner of 37 & Water St. & be ready for business at 10 AM. We’ll run till 2 pm or till everything is gone…which ever comes first. If no one sets up, then it’s canceled. Please don’t call the library to ask. The staff cannot see the parking lot and won’t be able to monitor it. There will be representatives from the library in the lot.
We hope you will join us on May 28 at 1:00 pm for our Summer Reading Kick-off. Professor Watermelon will be here to help us Kick-off our Summer Reading Program! Here’s a preview of Professor Watermelon:
Do you want to take a look at Philip Gulley’s books before he gets here? His books are listed below with a link to a description:
- If the Church Were Christian
- Living the Quaker Way
- The Evolution of Faith
- Unlearning God