Discover your roots in our Genealogy Department!
Orange County was formed from parts of Knox County, Gibson County and Washington County by an act approved on December 26, 1815; it took effect on February 1, 1816. The same year, the county seat was established in Paoli, which was named after Pasquale Paoli Ash, the 12-year-old son of the Governor, at the time, of North Carolina. (Info source: http://www.monon.org/location0606.html)
The Paoli Public Library’s original Carnegie building was built in 1918, and in 2010, we moved to our new building at 100 West Water Street. For more information on our library’s building history, please see this article: “Carnegie Arrives in Orange County” by Kenneth Perry McCune.
Our collection contains:
- PPL Genealogical Resources
- Database of Family Information
- Local newspapers
- High School Yearbooks
- Some records from neighboring counties
- Family Histories (books and files)
- Marriage Index
- Death Index
- Census records
- Cemetery records
- Cemeteries Index
Our Library’s Genealogy Area Rules
All books and materials in the genealogy department are REFERENCE ONLY and may not be checked out of the library.
- Please leave all books on table, library staff will re-shelve.
- No food or drinks allowed.
- Please keep your cell phone on “Mute” while in the library (calls may be made out in the hallway.)
- Please check with staff before making any photocopies due to copyright laws.Copies: 15 cents for Black and White, 25 cents for Color
- To request information, you may call us at 1-812-723-3841 or email us.
The Orange County Courthouse (on the square) has marriage and probate records from 1816. Their phone number is 1-812-723-3600.
The Orange County Health Office has birth and death records from 1882.
The Orange County Recorder’s Office has land / deed records from 1816.
For more genealogical information, please see our Subject Guide.
A Few Genealogical Links
- Orange County Roots Web
- Cyndi’s List
- Indiana Genealogical Society
- Orange County Historical Society
- Indiana State Library’s Cemetery Locator Index – By the way, did you know there are 250 cemeteries and / or records located in Orange County according to their index?
Where to Stay While You’re Here
Planning to visit Paoli, Indiana? Here are the recommended places to stay for our area…